To top off the awesomeness, Sarah includes her simply irresistible apple-cinnamon buckwheat crispies recipe - make sure you do as Sarah suggests and make a double batch of these!
© Sarah Britton
Nothing is faster and more delicious than this meal-in-a-blender, and there is no better way to get a megadose of superfoods to help kick-start your day. In the warm months, I have a smoothie almost every day, either in the morning or as an afternoon snack. Kids love ’em, and adults feel as if they are eating dessert for breakfast. Everyone wins.
Get as creative and silly with this as you like, making planets out of berries, stars out of bee pollen, and banana suns!
The other amazing part of this recipe is the apple-cinnamon buckwheat crispies, which have become a staple in my house. If you like to add a high-protein, high-fibre crunch bomb to your morning oats, fruit salad, or yogurt, these little buddies will surely satisfy. They also make a great snack to take with you on the go; make a double batch if you can, and snack on them beyond the breakfast table.
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 frozen banana
- 1⁄2 ripe avocado
- Generous handful of greens (such as spinach or kale)
- 1 cup / 250ml milk of your choice (nut, seed, rice . . . ) or fresh juice
- 1tsp Organic Burst Spirulina
- Handful of apple-cinnamon buckwheat crispies
- Handful of fresh berries
- Fresh fruit slices
- 1 scoop plant protein powder (hemp, sprouted brown rice, pumpkin seed . . . )
- 1 teaspoon Organic Burst Chlorella
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon Organic Burst Maca powder
- 1 teaspoon lucuma powder
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Put the banana, avocado, greens, and milk, plus any of your favourite additions, in a blender and blend on high speed until completely smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with the crispies and anything you like.
- To make the bowl look like a galaxy, add some fresh fruit slices, a couple of berries, the bee pollen, plus a swirl of Organic Burst Spirulina.
APPLE-CINNAMON BUCKWHEAT CRISPIES MAKES 3 CUPS / 450G
- 21⁄2 cups / 460g whole buckwheat groats
- 1⁄2 cup / 75g sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup / 125g unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup or brown rice syrup
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped out and reserved
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine the buckwheat, sesame seeds, cinnamon, and salt.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, and whisk in the applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla seeds.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and stir well to coat.
- Spread the mixture out on the prepared baking sheet in a single even layer.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes and then every 5 minutes or so, until golden brown and crisp (remember that the buckwheat will crisp up a little outside the oven).
- Let cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
DON'T MISS OUT!
Subscribe to our weekly Mighty Monday newsletter for latest expert articles & tips, wellbeing podcasts & q&as, giveaways, exclusive sales, free ebooks and surprises!
DON'T MISS OUT!
Subscribe to our weekly 'Mighty Monday' Newsletter