Pack your pancakes with nutritious ingredients, make sure they're gluten-free and you can't go wrong! Even with this ultra-yummy chocolate version from Ksenia at Breakfast Criminals.
Ksenia, over to you:
When you come across a day that's calling for pancakes, make sure you make this healthy gluten-free, nutrient-packed version with cocoa, Organic Burst Maca and tigernuts. Check out more recipes from Breakfast Criminals here!
Tigernuts are a root vegetable that's loaded with prebiotics (a.k.a. the food for probiotics), fiber, healthy fats, protein, carbohydrates, and a bit of naturally occurring sugar. I’ve been enjoying them sprinkled on top of my smoothie bowls in the morning or taking a handful with me as a snack on the go. They’re incredibly unique, they taste like an almond mixed with the sweet taste of dates, creaminess of a cashew, and are quite chewy.
Tigernut flour is raw, vegan and gluten-free, and makes the perfect base for a delicious pancake stack.
- 3 egg whites (or 3 flax eggs for vegan version)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup tigernut flour
- 3/4 cup Tigernut Horchata (or use almond milk)
- 1/2 mashed banana
- 3 tbsp cocoa (I like Frontier Coop)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp Organic Burst Maca
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- Coconut oil (for cooking)
- Whisk together egg whites and flours, then pour in the horchata (or almond milk) and mix well.
- Add cocoa, cacao nibs, maca, baking soda, rice malt syrup, cinnamon, sea salt, vanilla bean and mashed banana. Mix well.
- Add 1/2 tsp coconut oil to a pan and heat it up on medium.
- Pour in the pancake mixture and cook until the edges start to brown. Flip and cook the other side. Repeat.
- Serve with warm cinnamon pecan apples, almond butter, raw cacao nibs and coconut chips.
To make warm cinnamon spiced pecan apples:
- Slice up two large apples.
- Warm up a pan with 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
- Add the apples, and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring.
- Add 1 tsp cinnamon and a handful of pecans.
- Cook for another 5 minutes. Ready!
“Pack your pancakes with nutritious, gluten-free ingredients, and best of all make them chocolaty”
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK
Do you love tigernuts too? Tell us if you've tried baking or snacking them, your fellow Bursters want to know below!