- Find out which superfoods are good for you and your bump
- Which nutrients are essential during pregnancy?
- Learn the best ways to take your superfoods to feel great
Pregnancy is the time to nourish your body with a fantastic diet, but what if you’re craving lots of unhealthy foods, being sick, or don’t have the energy to prepare perfect meals?
Organic Burst Superfoods are whole, natural foods, which means they are suitable for everyone including pregnant women, breast-feeding mums and children.
Spirulina – the pregnancy nourisher
Organic Burst Spirulina is bursting with easy-to-digest nutrients.
Iron deficiency in pregnancy is extremely common, especially after 20 weeks (the halfway point). But you need to know the issues with iron supplementation before buying the nearest tablet!
Understanding iron and pregnancy:
- Your blood volume increases in pregnancy to help nourish your tiny growing baby and because iron is a key component of our blood, you need more during this period.
- Tablets prescribed by doctors for iron deficiency are very difficult to digest and can cause constipation.
- Inorganic iron (the type used in most iron tablets) has been found to increase oxidative stress during pregnancy, this means an excess of free radicals can cause damage to your body’s tissues.
- Spirulina is an organic source of iron, without the associated increase in oxidative stress levels. 
- The organic iron compounds in Organic Burst Spirulina mean that it is very easily digested and much more available to your body’s cells than iron from other sources. 
Take your Organic Burst Spirulina as powder – 1tsp in a glass of water with lemon juice, or add to your green smoothie. Alternatively you can simply take x4 of our easy-swallow tablets every day to keep your iron levels topped up.
Chlorella – the pregnancy protector
Organic Burst Chlorella is a micro-algae, packed with chlorophyll and important nutrients that have been found to be helpful in pregnancy. We grow our chlorella on a remote farm in Taiwan, completely free from environmental contamination. In studies it has been found to be the cleanest source in the world, free from any heavy metals or toxins.
Because of its incredible nutritional profile, chlorella can be used as a source of natural folate, Vitamin B12 and iron for pregnant women.
In studies, chlorella has been shown to help support pregnant women:
- Chlorella may contribute to maintaining healthy blood pressure in pregnancy.
- Chlorella is safe in pregnancy and is associated with healthy levels of fluid and less bloating in pregnant women. 
- The detoxification action of chlorella reduces dioxins found in breast milk. Dioxins are environmental contaminants that come into the food chain and are difficult to avoid but you can reduce them by eating food that hasn’t been treated with pesticides and choosing organic where you can, especially meat and dairy. Eat fish from waters clear from contamination such as wild Alaskan salmon.
- The immune cells found in breast milk were significantly higher in women taking chlorella – this means the little one will have immune system support. 
Take 4 Organic Burst Chlorella tablets or 1tsp Organic Burst Chlorella powder every day during pregnancy and breastfeeding. You can add your chlorella powder to a green smoothie, or stir into a glass of water with a big squeeze of lemon juice.
If you’re new to chlorella, start on a lower dose: 1-2 tablets or ¼ tsp powder for 1 week and build up to the daily dose gradually.
Maca – the expectant mum’s energiser
Organic Burst Maca powder is made from maca roots grown in the Andes - a food that has been used traditionally in Peru for thousands of years. If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, it helps to maintain optimal stamina and endurance to help your body through this taxing time.
Energy: Maca acts as a caffeine free energiser, so is particularly cherished by parents who are up in the night a lot with their little ones!
Organic Burst Maca is an ‘adaptogen’ (ginseng is another type of adaptogen), which means it has the ability to give energy and balance during times of added pressure. This balancing effect on the hypothalamus (the body’s control station) helps to support normal hormonal function.
Trace minerals: As well as its amazing adaptogenic qualities, maca is has a high nutritional value because it includes traces of 31 different minerals including iron, phosphorous, manganese, calcium, potassium, zinc and copper.
Maca is the perfect antidote to a processed diet where foods are lacking in these trace minerals, and pregnancy is a time to nourish your body on a deep level.
How to take
Start with ½ tsp per day and monitor your energy levels, if you find you are not noticing enough of a difference after a week, try increasing the dose by ½ tsp each week, until you reach 2 tsp per day. Take Organic Burst Maca for 3 weeks, then take 1 week off, before re-starting.
Baobab – the tummy settler
Organic Burst Baobab is a natural fruit powder from the majestic Baobab Trees in organic reserves in Malawi. It has been treasured for centuries in Africa thanks to its health benefits.
Calcium: Our baobab is a source of extra nourishment, particularly for topping up calcium – which is especially important in pregnancy, whilst being very gentle on the stomach.
Hydration: During pregnancy, nausea and morning sickness can affect your hydration and nutrient levels. So our easy to digest, nutrient dense, citrusy-tasting, refreshing baobab in a glass of water is just the ticket.
How to take
Take 1-2 tsp of Organic Burst Baobab per day. It is delicious in a glass of still or fizzy water but can also be mixed into yoghurts, soups, stews (just before eating), or used in healthy snacks such as these energy balls and even in your baking.
Wheatgrass – the fibre provider
Organic Burst Wheatgrass is a rejuvenating and alkalising nutrient-rich powder of the dried leaves of the young wheat plant.
Folic acid: Like many green vegetables, wheatgrass contains folic acid, which is a vital nutrient – part of the B complex of Vitamins - in pregnancy to prevent birth defects.
Fibre: A side effect of pregnancy is a slower digestive system, so flooding your body with nutrient and fibre-rich foods like Organic Burst Wheatgrass can help make sure you keep moving (!) and give you an extra dose of nutrients.
How to take
Take ½-1tsp per day. Our wheatgrass mixes easily into water, smoothies, juices. Or you could stir into food like soups, salad dressings, pesto, or make your own delicious green granola!
Acai Berry – the pregnancy beautifier
Organic Burst Acai Berry is an amazing Amazonian fruit from Brazil, which is recommended for skin by beauty experts around the world.
The radiant glow often talked about in pregnancy is caused by blood vessels near the surface of the skin, but hormonal changes can also cause skin outbreaks, which is not such a welcome result!
Beauty benefits: You can stay radiant and bursting with beauty with the amazing polyphenols in Organic Burst Acai Berry, plus the pure berry powder is rich in essential fatty acids omegas-3, -6 and -9.
Essential fats are a great addition to the diets of pregnant and breastfeeding mothers, not only for beauty benefits, but also because they contribute to the normal development of babies.
How to take
Simply take x4 Organic Burst Acai Berry capsules every day. Swallow with a glass of water or open up the capsules and stir the powder into food and drinks for a delicious purple addition, you could even make an acai berry bowl.
Choose any (or all!) of our superfoods to support your extra nutritional needs through pregnancy, helping to ensure you give your baby a healthy start.
 Annals of Phytomedicine 2(2): 71-78 2013
 J. Agric. Food Chem. 49 (3), pp 1625–1629 2001
 Plant Foods Hum Nutr: 65(1):25-30 2009
 Chemosphere: 61; (9): 1244–55 2005