If you’re at the point in life where you feel you should have already found the diet, lifestyle and superfoods that suit you best, but you’re still struggling with weight or health niggles. Don’t worry! Your body’s needs and life’s demands change as you get older, so let’s take stock and look at what’s going to make you feel amazing now. In our series of Eat Right For Your Age, this week we give your fifties a massive high five!
Claire, over to you:
Your body may not be as young as it was, but hey - you’ve got more time on your hands, maybe more spending money in your pocket and hopefully you know that you deserve a bit of nurturing!
High-Five Your Fifties
The fifties are a time to step your cell protection up a notch, think about your brain and heart. You may have a few health issues and be taking medications, so here are our natural suggestions:
Spice up your diet with some extra flavour and nutritional punch in the form of garlic, herbs and spices.
- Turmeric is a phenomenal spice, that has been found in countless studies to be protective as you age. Its active compound, cucurmin is the key to its powers! Add fresh turmeric to smoothies and juices, or stir the powdered spice into cooked curries, vegetables and rice.
- Eating a little garlic every day is another way to help protect your heart, as well as supporting the liver in its detoxification process – as we age the liver accumulates more toxins, especially if you’re taking medication, so any support you can give is good.
- Go the superfood route and protect your liver, helping it detoxify medications, alcohol, pollution, toxins from pesticides and preservatives in food and much more, with Organic Burst Chlorella. Simply add a teaspoon to a glass of water with lemon juice.
- The herb rosemary is a fantastic choice as you slide into your fifties because it supports the health of the brain and mental condition. It also has a protective effect on the joints – as does ginger, so the rule is get spicy and aromatic in your cooking as you get older!
Forgetting people’s names more frequently than you used to? Think about your brain health and mental clarity as you get that bit older.
- Try giving up gluten: the latest thinking on protecting your brain function, which has been researched and written about by neurologist David Perlmutter, author of Grain Brain, explains the link between gluten, carbs and sugar with brain issues like dementia. We recommend you read up about this enlightening approach!
- Stay sharp with Organic Burst Spirulina, which contains iron for brain function. Add to water and lemon, or take our easy swallow, pure tablets. You can get creative by trying some of our amazing recipes here.
- Get something fishy going on, by adding plenty of seafood, salmon, sardines, anchovies, and white fish to your diet. These foods have especially high levels of DHA and EPA needed to keep the brain cells buzzing!
Nurture and nourish your heart with B Vitamins, protect it from damage and keep a lid on your blood pressure.
- Pump up your heart-friendly nutrients which include B Vitamins, especially Vitamin B1 in Organic Burst Spirulina. A teaspoon a day in juice, shakes or lemon water is tickety-boo.
- Oxidised fats in your diet cause damage to your cholesterol and blood vessels. The trick is not to use refined vegetable oils like canola, sunflower and safflower, but instead use natural fats that don’t get damaged when you cook with them. Coconut oil, butter, and other animal fats remain stable at higher temperatures. Use olive oil or nut oils cold in salads.
- Keep a lid on salt intake (which increases blood pressure), and switch to natural sea salt and Himalayan pink salt which have many more minerals than cheap table salt, you can sprinkle Organic Burst Spirulina granules on your food for an incredibly tasty and nutritious seasoning.
Enjoy looking after yourself and fly through your fifties!
Not 50 yet?! Check out our previous articles on Partying In Your Twenties, Flourishing In Your Thirties, and Facing Your Forties.
DON'T MISS OUT!
Subscribe to our weekly Mighty Monday newsletter for latest expert articles & tips, wellbeing podcasts & q&as, giveaways, exclusive sales, free ebooks and surprises!
DON'T MISS OUT!
Subscribe to our weekly 'Mighty Monday' Newsletter