Was hitting the big number 40 something you were dreading? We hope not! We have it on good authority that life after 40 just gets better and better. So let’s look at the awesome ways you can stay looking peachy and feeling vibrant with our guide to eating for your forties – the third instalment of our Eat Right For Your Age series.
Claire, over to you:
You probably still look and feel pretty damn fabulous on a good day, but that’s when you’ve had plenty of sleep, little alcohol and have been managing to hit the gym as often as you can. The problem with this decade is that our metabolisms decide to take a more leisurely pace, our beauty sleep becomes essential, and hormonal changes can leave us feeling zapped.
Keep Your Metabolism Revving
When we talk about our ‘metabolism’ we mean the body’s ability to effectively convert food into energy, the higher its rate, the faster you burn calories, so you’re less likely to put on weight. What is the secret to keeping yours working well?
- Support your ability to make energy with iron, iodine, copper and biotin, all found in Organic Burst Chlorella. Take 1 teaspoon in lemon water, or 4 tablets in the morning to set you up for a marvellous day.
- Vitamins B1 and B12 are also involved in the metabolism of your energy stores, so grab some Organic Burst Spirulina (which contains iron too!) later in the day to keep you going. Spirulina is rich in complete protein, so it’s the perfect pre and post workout superfood.
- Move it! Stay active, but don’t just concentrate on the treadmill, make sure you incorporate some weights and strengthening work to tone and build muscle mass – which is far more metabolically active tissue than fat.
Younger for Longer
It’s time to really take care of your skin from the inside and out. Every day we’re faced with free radicals from pollution, smoke, toxins in our food and cosmetics that can damage our cells. So looking good into your middle years is all about getting plenty of sleep, good nutrition and protective plant compounds.
- Most of our repair and regeneration takes place over night, not just overnight but specifically in the hours between 10pm and 2am. So for the best quality beauty sleep get into bed nice and early.
- Find your body’s natural defence against the modern world by eating lots of natural plant foods, berries are brilliant, broccoli is insane and red onions are ridiculously good.
- Take care of your beautiful skin with Organic Burst Acai Berry - a source of polyphenols, the healthy compounds that make it so purple. You’ll still be looking and feeling sexy in your 60s with acai!
Get the Energy to Power Through
If your stamina is not what it was, and you find your energy levels are drooping a little quicker than you’d like, let’s see what we can do to give you a healthy boost.
- Coping with everything life throws at you, and being able to sail through life’s changes and challenges is doable with Organic Burst Maca, which strengthens the body and helps maintain optimal stamina and endurance. Take 1 teaspoon every day, in a warming almond milk drink, or stirred into natural yoghurt or your porridge.
- Maca means you won’t have to rely on coffee to get you through – it’s a caffeine-free energising buzz. Just a side note – Organic Burst Maca can also ramp your sex life back up because it increases sexual desire!
- Steering clear of sugar will help you stay energised all day, rather than the sugar high and crash caused by sweet foods and refined carbs. Eat a snack of nuts, seeds, a boiled egg, some coconut yoghurt, or avocado.
Keep on rolling! Next week we’ll High-Five Your Fifties.