This wonderful dairy-free pesto created by the food blogger and our customer Jessica Simmons can be used as a dip, a spread or a sauce for your pasta, veggies or anywhere else you wish! We love it in our buckwheat or rice flour pasta. This pesto is such a great way of using Organic Burst Chlorella powder. As it's getting colder and darker outside add it for its Vitamin D and Vitamin K, zinc, iron and its immune-supporting benefits.
Jessica, over to you:
I was so happy when I got my wonderful Organic Burst Chlorella Powder. I had so many ideas in my head of what I wanted to make first! Gram for gram, Chlorella has the highest amount of chlorophyll than any other plant and has so many nutritional benefits. The day I made this pesto, I had gone out the night before and therefore Chlorella was perfect because it promotes detoxification and supports the liver by removing alcohol and cleansing toxins! The cashews gives it a delicious nutty flavour and the avocado makes it so creamy. This wonderful sauce can be used as a dip or as a spread too!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 handful fresh kale
- 1/2 cup of cashews (soaked overnight in water)
- 1 tsp Organic Burst Chlorella powder
- 1/4 ripe avocado flesh
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2-4 tbsp water
- salt & pepper
- As a dip
- Spread on toast or rice crackers
- As a pasta sauce
- The night before you want to make this, soak the cashew nuts in water to “activate” them. This way they also aren't as tough on your blender blades.
- Put everything minus the water in a food processor and pulse a couple of times, scrape down the sides and continue to pulse - you may need to do this a few times until desired consistency is achieved.
- If it is not combining then add the extra water to help with viscosity and then season with a little salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm with pasta, or cold as a dip or spread!
I served my cashew, kale & chlorella pesto with brown rice pasta, butternut squash, caramelised onions, pumpkin seeds and chilli flakes!