For women of childbearing age, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is the most common hormonal problem. If you don’t have it (phew), you probably know someone who does. Here are some of the most common symptoms of it:
What causes "the syndrome"?
The syndrome covers a group of symptoms that are caused by an excess of androgen ‘male’ hormones. That’s why sufferers often get a receding hairline and increased facial and body hair. Women’s voices can even deepen.
Confusingly, not everyone with the syndrome actually gets polycystic ovaries – these are fluid-filled follicles on the ovaries that are unable to release an egg (ovulation), but it’s a key reason why many couples cannot conceive.
PCOS is often a result of insulin resistance; eating fast carbs or sugary foods triggers high amounts of insulin (our metabolism hormone) which then disrupts hormonal balance, and sex hormones can go haywire.
Another big contributor to PCOS is ongoing stress. Cortisol and adrenaline (stress hormones) are produced at the expense of all other hormones and stop our pituitary gland from working optimally. Coffee, which floods the body with stress hormones, is another culprit.
If you think you may have PCOS, do work with your healthcare practitioner who can carry out some tests.
What can help👇
- Reduce fast carbs like bread, cakes, sweet foods, as well as granola and fruit juices.
- Help avoid insulin spikes with Organic Burst Spirulina that contains 70% complete protein to reduce sweet cravings. Have a serving between each meal i.e. mid-morning and mid-afternoon.
- Research has shown Cinnamon to help; one study found PCOS sufferers who consumed Cinnamon had more frequent menstrual cycles and started ovulating regularly (Source: American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2014). Take 1 serving Organic Burst Cinnamon daily.
- Our Maca nourishes the pituitary gland to help lower stress hormones and balance sex hormones. Begin with 1 serving of Organic Burst Maca daily. After 1-2 weeks you can start building up to 2-3 servings if needed.
- Cut out or reduce coffee. Try Organic Burst Matcha or chamomile tea instead.